Problem with DHCP, /etc/hosts and GNOME

Julien Olivier julo at altern.org
Thu Apr 8 16:49:30 UTC 2004

> >I have exactly the same thing in /etc/sysconfig/network, but when the
> >eth0 connection is started, my hostname changes to this strange
> >"rfc1918.space.should.not.be.used.on.publicips".
> >

> I'm very surprised, though, that your router gives you a different
> hostname every time, and isn't providing DNS services.

Before going any further, I'd like to clarify something. My router
always gives me the *same* hostname
(rfc1918.space.should.not.be.used.on.publicips). And after I have added
it in /etc/hosts, it works forever without needing to tweak anything.

My problem was: why do I need to add it to /etc/hosts the first time ?
Isn't it possible to make my system aware of the new hostname
automatically (by adding it automatically to /etc/hosts after the first
connection) ?

Sorry if I confused you.

(snip)

--