Create a new system variable

Matthew Benjamin msbenjamin at fedex.com
Thu Apr 8 17:14:07 UTC 2004

Can someone tell me how to create a system variable. For instance I
would like to create a variable called http_proxy that will be available
for a cronjob. This requires the variable to be available to the process
when no one is logged in. Export does not work because it disappears
when you log off. editing the /etc/profile file to include this does not
work because the variable is created as an environment variable and only
exits while you're logged on. That's my dilemma. Please help.

mattB.