Problem with DHCP, /etc/hosts and GNOME

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Thu Apr 8 19:07:13 UTC 2004

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Keven Ring wrote:

> Satish Balay wrote:
>
> >I hope this is a bug (in the dhcp client scripts) that can be
> >fixed. Otherwise I'm at a loss at explaining what the flag
> >DHCP_HOSTNAME is for (it if doesn't work)
> >
> DHCP_HOSTNAME suggests to the DHCP server what your hostname is.  I'm
> not sure if the DHCP server is obliged to honor that request or not.
> I'm guessing not.  My guess is that this might be honored if the DHCP
> server turns around and updates DNS dynamically.  Otherwise, why should it?

Ah.. I interptered it as - an option to dhcp-clinet (not server) to
ignore what dhcp server says - and use the provided value as the
hostname. Perhpas there should be some other option for this
functionality? (RFE)

I don't like hostname changing (when you move laptop between networks)
- this changes xauth which messes up everything else..

Satish