yum.conf clean-up

Thu Apr 8 20:03:55 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 15:42, Satish Balay wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Matt Morgan wrote:
>
> > When I first installed fedora core, I was entirely clueless about yum,
> > snip <
>
> Will work fine untill some packages get updated that changes/breaks
> existing dependencies. At that time - yum will give nice errors -
> indicating what depency is broken. Yum don't care if this bad
> dependency is from orphaned package or not.

Be warned that these problems are likely to happen immediately as
packages from the FreshRPMS group (including ATrpms, Dag, Dries,...) of
repositories seem to often be mutually incompatible with
Fedora.US/Livna.  The others you have added would only seem to increase
the probability of problems.

When I tried to use yum to remove some of the ATrpms packages because of
dependency problems, it wanted to remove large chunks of Gnome and other
key components, so I'm living with it until time for a fresh install
comes around.  OTOH, it does seem to be working reasonably well as long
as repositories from the two groups (FreshRPMS et. al. and
Fedora.US/Livna) are not mixed.

> And for your sanity - to know what packages are orphaned - you can do:
>
> yum list extras
>
> >snip <
> yum -C remove package
>
> Satish