Problem with DHCP, /etc/hosts and GNOME

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 8 20:09:29 UTC 2004

Satish Balay said:

> Ah.. I interptered it as - an option to dhcp-clinet (not server) to
> ignore what dhcp server says - and use the provided value as the
> hostname. Perhpas there should be some other option for this
> functionality? (RFE)
>
> I don't like hostname changing (when you move laptop between networks)
> - this changes xauth which messes up everything else..

A quick browse through the networking scripts suggests that the hostname
will only change if it is "localhost".  I haven't looked too hard though.
I know that I don't have a problem with my laptop, which I set the
hostname on during install (but that was with RHL 9 and an upgrade to
FC1).  It may be more of a case of the DHCP servers I'm using not trying
to change the hostname, though.

--
William Hooper