Problem with DHCP, /etc/hosts and GNOME

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Apr 8 22:00:31 UTC 2004

Keven Ring wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>> Keven Ring wrote:

>>> It's in the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/network-functions script.
>>> There is a function called need_hostname().
>>>
>>> Returns 0 if the current hostname is "localhost",
>>> "localhost.localdomain" or "(none)".  Returns 1 otherwise.  This
>>> function is called in the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup
>>> script.  However, again, just like everything else, just because the
>>> DHCP client *requests* a hostname, does not mean that the DHCP server
>>> is obliged to hand one back...
>>

>> And you're not "obligated" to accept it.  You can set
>>
>>     supersede host-name "your-host-name"
>>
>> in your /etc/dhclient/dhclient.conf file to override whatever the DHCP
>> server gives you.  see "dhclient.conf(5)" and "dhcp-options(5)" for
>> info.
>>
> Of course, if you tell the DHCP server what you want your hostname to
> be, *and* ask for the DHCP server to provide one back to you, *and*
> disregard the hostname that the DHCP server sends back, then you have an
> awfully friendly system... :)

Heheheh!  Yup, that's the effect of it.

> DHCP Client:  Please set my host name to xxx.yyy.zzz.
> DHCP Server:  No chance.  Your host name is aaa.bbb.ccc
> DHCP Client:  Screw you.  I'm setting my hostname to mmm.nnn.ooo
>
> Fine.  Is everyone happy now?

"I wanna be thishost.thisdomain.tld and regardless of what you say,
that's what I'm gonna be!  When I want your opinion, Mr. DHCP server,
I'll beat it out of you!  Neener, neener!  Thhppt!"
- Millihelen, adj: The amount of beauty required to launch one ship. -