Gnome and modem connection

Julien Olivier julo at altern.org
Fri Apr 9 07:47:07 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-09 at 08:11, Paolo Consiglio wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I have just installed Fedora core1 with (only) Gnome on a computer at home.
> That computer will be a server for two Linux clients.  On that server I need
> to set up a ppp-connection which I can remotely start and stop by the
> clients.
>
> The problem is that I am new to Gnome, (I have always used KDE and Kppp) and
> was convinced to find Gnome-ppp,
> but I can't find it. It seems not installed... is that possible? I thought
> it was installed by default, isn't it?
> Do I have to re-install everything?
>
> The only window where I can set up the logon parameters (provider, etc) e'
> the one where you can see the network connections list (I see my two
> netcards and a ppp connection with a modem symbol: if I double click on the
> modem  it makes me to insert the main parameters of the connection,like
> provider, phone number,etc.).
>
> So, if I have to activate the modem connection from a remote client, do I
> have to approach  to a program that shows me all the network connections on
> the server? It does not seem nice to me... Please before it makes me
> re-install the whole o.s. with KDE, could someone give me an hint?
>
>  Many many thanks! Paul

I think you have 2 possibilities to start a PPP connection in GNOME on
FC1.

The first one is to use System Tools -> Network Device Control.
The second one is to use an applet on GNOME's panel. To add it,
right-click on the panel and select Add to Panel -> Internet -> Modem
Lights. Using this applet you can start/stop your PPP connection.

I hope this helps.

--
Julien Olivier <julo at altern.org>