dd if=* of=/dev/fd0 freezing my computer.

Matt Morgan matt.morgan-fedora-list at brooklynmuseum.org
Fri Apr 9 21:18:32 UTC 2004

Now that I have a working floppy drive, I have a whole new topic to
start. Y'all are gonna get sick of my floppy drive.

dd is crashing my computer. I'm trying to write floppy disk boot images,
with

dd if=whatever.img of=/dev/fd0

and invariably my system freezes. Can't ctrl-alt-f1, can't alt-tab,
can't anything. Mouse pointer disappears, nothing moves. All I can do is
cycle power.

As far as I can tell, everything else about the floppy is working. I can
format disks and read and write them, I can read and write DOS-formatted
disks, etc.

In case it matters, the images I'm writing are mainly boot floppy images
from the Mandrake Linux 10 Community Edition install (CD 1). I know the
CD they come from burned OK; the checksums work out and I can boot from
it, etc. But just in case it had anything to do with the images
themselves, I took a Debian boot floppy, wrote it to disk with

dd if=/dev/fd0 of=debian.boot.img

(which worked fine). Then I tried to write it back to another disk, with
the reverse, and my computer froze. So even dd images I create on this
FC 1 computer are crashing it.

Any ideas?

Thanks again,
Matt