A curse on LABEL=

John Arthur lists at davey.net.au
Sat Apr 10 00:42:06 UTC 2004

> 	I personally don't like the LABEL feature... Makes it real hard to
> retrieve data from a drive if you put it in another system :(

Actually that is real easy to get around. Customise your labels

Whenever I build a system the first thing I do is this...
Machine name is "alpha.mydomain.com"

1/. Change the label on every partition from
    /        to    alpha/
    /boot    to    alpha/boot
    /home    to    alpha/home
    /usr     to    alpha/home
    and so on for all partitions

2/. change fstab
    LABEL=/            /           ext3    defaults     1 1
    LABEL=alpha/       /           ext3    defaults     1 1
    LABEL=/boot        /boot       ext3    defaults     1 1
    LABEL=alpha/boot   alpha/boot  ext3    defaults     1 1

     and so on for all partitions

3/.  edit grub.conf and change ....
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-30.9 ro root=LABEL=/ apm=power-off
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-30.9 ro root=LABEL=alpha/ apm=power-off

4/.  Sometimes I'll  run mkinitrd

Now I have all the advantages of LABEL= and none of the problems.
Certianly no problems taking a drive from another system and adding
it to mine to retrieve any data.

It just would be nice if the installer did this instead of using
generic labels.

John