Burning DVD's (photo's and .iso's)

Mel Seder melseder at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 10 21:26:33 UTC 2004

--- David Nedrow <listbox at nedron.net> wrote:
> Mel,
>
> I take it you're having problems? If so, what is the issue?

I haven't tried burning a DVD yet.  The DVD functions (plays) fine in
Windows.  I don't know what program to use to burn a DVD so I'm wanting
to get or use suitable  burning software to start off with.

> One thing to note is that Fedora defaults to enabling DMA for all
> drives. I've found this to basically make it impossible for me to
> burn
> anything, CD-R/W or DVD-R/W.

I can burn cheap/blank CD's as well as brand name CR-R's using Fedora
as it came right out of the box with no problem.

> To disable DMA permanently for my DVD burner, I simply copied
> /etc/harddisks to /etc/harddiskhdb (where hdb is the device node for
> my
> burner) and set USE_DMA=0. This file generally only gets consulted at
>
> bootup.
>
> To change drive settings on the fly, use hdparm.

David,  as far as changing the DVD drive settings on the fly goes,
which settings are you referring to?  I've been using Red Hat since
version 5 or so but still consider myself a newbie and not very
techically adept.

> -David
>
> On Apr 10, 2004, at 15:19, Mel Seder wrote:
>
> > Have you been able to burn a DVD in CORE 1?
> >
> > If so which program or command line did you use?
> >
> > Did you have to do anything special to burn DVD's?

=====
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him
absolutely no good. -Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)