Simultaneous sounds with ALSA?

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at web.de
Sun Apr 11 02:52:08 UTC 2004

Hi Andre!

Am Fr, den 09.04.2004 schrieb Andre Costa um 23:54:
> On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 19:43:11 +0200
> Christoph Wickert <christoph.wickert at web.de> wrote:
> >
> > Nope, it's only /etc/modules-thing: I have posted my modules.conf in a
> > previous mail, the important lines are:
> >
> > # OSS/Free portion
> > alias char-major-14 soundcore
> > alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
> > (alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1  # if you have another soundcard)
> >
> > Then set up your applications to use OSS (usually default) or alsa, if
> > supported. E.g I can run xmms with alsa or with oss output selected,
> > there's no difference (In fact I heard of people who had problems with
> > bad sound using alsa plugin. Also if you are using the on-screen
> > display in xmms it will show the volume settings whenever a new song
> > starts -> very annoying I think, so I chose OSS output.)
>
> That's odd... I just tried it here (my /etc/modules.conf have those same
> lines), and with OSS xmms 'steals' sound device, and gxine is unable to
> output any sound until xmms is closed. And then, if I run gxine before
> xmms, it (xmms) refuses to play and complains someone else owns the
> sound device -- which was precisely the problem that led me to write
> that article. Any idea what might be the problem?

I haven't tried gxine yet, I'm using totem for dvd. Stupid question: Do
you have alsa-oss installed?

$ rpm -qa *alsa*
alsa-oss-1.0.4-0.fdr.1.1
xmms-alsa-1.2.10-1.1.fr
alsa-utils-1.0.4-0.fdr.1.1
gnome-alsamixer-0.9.6-0.fdr.2.1
alsa-tools-1.0.4-0.fdr.1.1
kernel-module-alsa-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl-1.0.4-0.fdr.1.1
alsa-lib-1.0.4-0.fdr.1.1
alsa-driver-1.0.4-0.fdr.1.1

What soundcard are you using? Mine is a SB Live 5.1.

BTW: I can enable esd in addition to alsa to play gnome system sounds or
sounds from remote X sessions. Also works with aRts.

> > > I would really love to update that article if I were to make it
> > > simpler=)
> >
> > No, I think it's ok! Your article is exactly how it should be done, my
> > way is just for lazy one's :-)
>
> Thks, hopefully it will come out of this discussion a little bit better
> ;)
>
> Thks for the help.

You are welcome. I really appreciate the work you and others at
fedoranews.org are doing.

Christoph