Simultaneous sounds with ALSA?

Andre Costa acosta at ar.microlink.com.br
Sun Apr 11 14:14:23 UTC 2004

Hi Christoph =)

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 04:52:08 +0200
Christoph Wickert <christoph.wickert at web.de> wrote:

> > That's odd... I just tried it here (my /etc/modules.conf have those
> > same lines), and with OSS xmms 'steals' sound device, and gxine is
> > unable to output any sound until xmms is closed. And then, if I run
> > gxine before xmms, it (xmms) refuses to play and complains someone
> > else owns the sound device -- which was precisely the problem that
> > led me to write that article. Any idea what might be the problem?
>
> I haven't tried gxine yet, I'm using totem for dvd. Stupid question:
> Do you have alsa-oss installed?
>
> $ rpm -qa *alsa*
> alsa-oss-1.0.4-0.fdr.1.1
> xmms-alsa-1.2.10-1.1.fr
> alsa-utils-1.0.4-0.fdr.1.1
> gnome-alsamixer-0.9.6-0.fdr.2.1
> alsa-tools-1.0.4-0.fdr.1.1
> kernel-module-alsa-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl-1.0.4-0.fdr.1.1
> alsa-lib-1.0.4-0.fdr.1.1
> alsa-driver-1.0.4-0.fdr.1.1

I don't have a alsa-oss package installed

~ rpm -qa | grep alsa
gnome-alsamixer-0.9.6-2.fr
alsaplayer-0.99.76-1.fr
xmms-alsa-1.2.10-1.1.fr
alsa-lib-1.0.2-2.fr
alsa-driver-1.0.2c-1.fr
kernel-module-alsa-1.0.0-0.rc2.1.fr_2.4.22_1.2174.nptlcustom
alsa-utils-1.0.2-1.fr

but OSS emulation does seem to be working AFAICS:

~ cat /proc/asound/oss/sndstat
Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v1.0.0rc2 emulation code)
Kernel: Linux shadow 2.4.22-1.2174.nptlcustom #1 Thu Feb 19 08:41:55 BRT
2004 i686 Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 10: ALSA emulation

Card config:
NVidia nForce2 at 0xea082000, irq 9

Audio devices:
0: NVidia nForce2 (DUPLEX)

Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Midi devices:
0: NVidia nForce2 MPU-401

Timers:
7: system timer

Mixers:
0: Realtek ALC650 rev 3

I got my packages from freshrpms.net, where did you get yours from?

> What soundcard are you using? Mine is a SB Live 5.1.

It's a nForce2 onboard.

> BTW: I can enable esd in addition to alsa to play gnome system sounds
> or sounds from remote X sessions. Also works with aRts.

Yeah, I guess I could do it here, too. However, I would rather not use
esd or aRts, if possible.

> > Thks for the help.
> >
> You are welcome. I really appreciate the work you and others at
> fedoranews.org are doing.

Thks. It feels good to think this can help folks out there. It's made by
users for users;) It's good that fedoranews.org folks host contributions
like these.

Best,

Andre

--