cups

Jay Daniels drs at pointyhats.com
Sun Apr 11 14:56:01 UTC 2004

On Sun, Apr 11, 2004 at 08:40:27AM +0100, Gertjan Vinkesteijn wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have problems setting up an HP DeskJet 970Cxi on a parallel port, the
> port has been probed oke, the 970 also, should I do something with
> sharing? No Micro-soft network I hope

You didn't say what the problem was... you cannot print from the
localhost that the 970 is connected or you cannot print from another
Linux box on the network?

NETWORK PRINTING FROM LINUX BOX SOLUTION
I had a problem printing from a another Linux box on the network with
my printer which printed fine from the server.  On the client you put
the Server: ip_address_of_server and Path: /printers/printer (printer
being whatever you named the print que on the server).

As for your specific printer, idonno if it works with Linux or not,
explain?

NETWORK PRINTING FROM XP BOX?
I would be interested to know if one could connect to a cups printer
from a Windows XP box on the local network without running SAMBA?  In
other words, the same way another Linux box connects to the printer on
my server?

While setting up a printer in XP I noticed there is an option to
install a printer by specifying a URL, but it does not work.

My wife would like to use my printer from her laptop running Windows
XP, but I do not want to run SAMBA!

jay