Backup to tape with tar

Andrew Robinson awrobinson at cox.net
Sun Apr 11 16:47:57 UTC 2004

WipeOut wrote:

> Just need confirmation and possibly input if I have missed something..
>
> I am backing up my data on my Linux system to a DAT tape drive using tar..
>
> The command I have used is "tar --totals -cvf /dev/st0 /home"..
>
> Is this correct? and will it restore the correct permissions of the
> files if I restore from this backup?

Preserving permissions actually happens in the restoration step. (They
are preserved in the tar file.) Be sure to use the p option when
restoring the files from tape:  tar -xvpf /dev/st0

BTW, be sure the device file for the tape drive exists. Otherwise, you
will create a large tar file in the /dev directory. And yes, I know this
because I've done it. :)

Andrew Robinson