Is this correct: Kernel Compiling Checklist

Etanisla Lopez-Ortiz null at etanisla.com
Mon Apr 12 15:36:31 UTC 2004

I submit to those wiser and more knowledgeable than myself, my Fedora kernel
compiling checklist. I've followed these steps ten times, and somehow
screwed up a different way each time! But I can't find a straight-forward
means of comparing this against known good steps.

This list is a mish-mash of many separate newsgroup and web postings. So the
only thing I can claim are the errors!

-1: Start with fresh install of FC1 (2.4.22-1.2115)
0:  Insert desired version number where x.x.x is present.
1:  Get desired kernel and extract it.
2:  "mv /scratch/directory/linux-x.x.x /usr/src"
3:  "cd /usr/src/linux-x.x.x"
4:  Copy .config from old kernel to /usr/src/linux-x.x.x
    Since first compile since initial install, use config file found in
/boot.
5:  "make oldconfig" (Keep the stuff that works, and only answer new
questions)
6:  "make xconfig" (Make sure kernel options for Prism54 are set properly)
7:  "make dep"
8:  "make clean"
9:  "make bzImage"
10: "cp /arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-x.x.x"
11: "ln -s /boot/vmlinuz-x.x.x /boot/vmlinuz-x.x.x-new-kernel"
12: "make modules"
13: "make modules_install"
14: Edit /etc/rc.sysinit and change '/proc/sys/kernel/modprobe' to
/sbin/modprobe'.
15: "mkinitrd /boot/initrd-x.x.x.img x.x.x"
16: Edit boot loader to add option of new kernel. (I always get this part
right. GRUB is the easy part!)
17: "shutdown -r now"
18: After rebooting, and selecting new kernel option, type "uname -r" to
verify the new kernel is running.

Now, this is what broke in the process, sometimes just one or two things,
sometimes all.
1- Lost USB printer (always)
2- Lost Compact Flash card (usually)
3- Kernel Panic (sometimes)
4- Lost PS/2 mouse (twice)
5- Lost sanity (always)

Each time, to make sure I wasn't just pileing on errors, I would reinstall
Fedora from scratch. Wipe the drive clean and start again. I need to get to
2.4.25 not only for my personal ego, but so I can (attempt) to use the
Prism54 drivers for my SMC 2802 Wireless card.

I'll accept any advice EXCEPT "stick with Windows"

Thank you,
Ms. Etanisla Lopez-Ortiz