start up hangs on "Enabling Swap Space"

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Apr 12 16:20:31 UTC 2004

Am Mo, den 12.04.2004 schrieb Duane Parsons um 12:07:

> Things working fine this morning, but when I tried to
> reboot just a while ago, the system kept getting hung
> up on the Enabling Swap Space part of the process. How
> can I fix this?
>
> Duane

Hi!

I am very very sure you did not face any problem with the swap space!

You should remind that from time to time (depends on how you set this up
per partition) on bootup your Fedora system will run a full fsck
process. That means after X days or Y mount processes each partition
will be fully filechecked to assure file system integrity. The whole
process of fsck will last some minutes, the bigger your partitions are
the more time it takes.

Unfortunately the graphical boot does not tell you what's happening, so
you might think something hangs. But as I explained, it is a regular
health check. Keep in mind that some day you will see that happening
again ... then just be patient and get a cup of coffee ;)

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 18:13:23 up 24 days, 1:54, load average: 1.04, 1.18, 1.23
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]