Time server...how to set it up on FC1?

Gilbert Sebenste sebenste at weather3.admin.niu.edu
Mon Apr 12 20:05:51 UTC 2004

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, William Hooper wrote:

> >> Do you have ntpd running on the same machine you are trying to run the
> >> ntpdate command on?
> >
> > Yep...
> >
> > ntp -U ntp -p /var/run/ntpd.pid -g
> >
> > is the daemon.
>
> ntp is using the NTP socket, therefore ntpdate can't.  Use ntpdate before
> starting the ntp daemon.

I need to be clearer here. The primary machine in my office needs to be a
time server, so that the other machines can use the sync program and
"ping" to get the correct time from the primary machine. That is to say,
it should not only be running NTP, but the other office machines should be
able to get the correct time from it using the Redhat time "Date/Time
properties" little program. It has a message on there that says "Enable
Network Time Protocol", and then I use that to (try) to sync with my
primary office machine. but the primary office machine refuses to accept
it. I just use ntpdate via command mode to see if it is actually working
properly from another machine.

E-mail: gilbert at niu.edu                                               ***