lockups

Bob Shaffer fedora at bobshafferscomputer.com
Mon Apr 12 23:17:22 UTC 2004

I am using the driver from XFree86 unless Fedora includes nVidia's.  I
didn't compile nVidia's driver, I mean.  Will it fix my problem if I do
download/compile nVidia's driver?  The system only locks up sometimes when
I switch from the GUI to a pseudo-tty, never the other way around, and it
seems fairly random whether or not it locks everything up.  I haven't
tried logging in from the network when it happens, but I wouldn't be
surprised if I could do that.

Bob Shaffer II - Owner, Developer, System Operator - BobShaffersComputer.com
bob at bobshafferscomputer.com
http://bobshafferscomputer.com/

/"\
\ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN - AGAINST HTML MAIL
 X   CAMPANHA DA FITA ASCII - CONTRA MAIL HTML
/ \

Alexander Dalloz said:
> Am Mo, den 12.04.2004 schrieb Bob Shaffer um 18:40:
>
>> Sometimes when I switch from ptty #7 (X) to one of the others the system
>> locks up.  Sometimes it doesn't.  A wild guess is that it's a problem
>> with
>> the video card driver - RIVA TNT2 (an on-board controller).  Does anyone
>> have any other ideas?
>
> That is a known problem for quite some people.
>
> Do you use the closed source NVidia driver or the driver from XFree? I
> guess you use NVidia's driver, then either switch to XFree back or use a
> different NVidia driver version.
>
> Alexander
>

> --
> Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany | GPG key 1024D/ED695653 1999-07-13
> Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
> Sirendipity 18:50:06 up 24 days, 2:31, load average: 1.21, 1.26, 1.25
>                    [ Γνωθι σ'αÏ
τον - gnothi seauton ]