Time server...how to set it up on FC1?

Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 13 04:32:45 UTC 2004

On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 05:27:32PM -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> At 14:19 4/12/2004, you wrote:
> >Yes and no ntpd is full time and ntpdate only runs until the time is
> >set. They're in essence the same daemon and when ntpdate starts it sees
> >ntpd and shuts itself down.
>
> Not quite true. "ntpdate" checks the time on an NTP server just once, and
> then forcefully changes the local system time to whatever result it got
> from the server, regardless of what that result was and with no sanity
> checks.

Well there is the old truth and the new truth here.

The new ntpdate will no longer make the brutal abrupt time adjustment
that some of us got to know and 'love'.  I am not sure which behavior
is in the FC1/2 ntp package at this time but the "time"s they be a changing
on this point.

Read all about it on the ntp home pages and in the Fedora archives.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l