What does "supported" mean for Fedora Core 1 software?

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Tue Apr 13 15:06:51 UTC 2004

At 08:57 4/13/2004, you wrote:
>If your system is updated, say monthly, and your firewall properly set
>up and maintained, the major issue becomes users.

Not disagreeing with your basic concepts here, but most systems may as well
be set to update themselves daily, or even more frequently.

Of course, the ideal when you have lots of machines is to run a single
machine as a yum repository for updates and have that one machine update
frequently. Then all your other client machines can query that one, such
that you reduce the window of vulnerability to a minimum while (and this is
very important) NOT swamping the Fedora servers and mirrors with tons of
requests.

I currently run about 30 machines this way, and the primary machine updates
itself every four hours. All internal systems query that box every two
hours. But the Fedora mirrors only see six connection requests from me per
day, instead of 180. Basic download netiquette.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com
http://www.simpaticus.com