X11 issue after using up2date

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Apr 13 16:49:44 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 13.04.2004 schrieb Ryan um 18:34:

> Hi there,
>
> I just installed FC1 last night and let it ran the updates, there were
> 100 of them. Then after it errored out half way through, my computer
> wouldn't run right. No X-Window programs were opening, i could get to
> terminal sessions etc. So I decided to reboot (old habit), then when my
> system came up I was greeted with: "'X' is respawning to fast...
> suspending for 5 minutes" or something like that. So I logged in to the
> command line and tried 'startx'. I then was greeted with this message:
> "error while loading shared libraries libXmau.so.1: cannot open shared
> object file: No such File or Directory"

You certainly mean libXmuu.so.1, don't you? That library is in package
XFree86-libs-4.3.0-55.

As a general advise: better upgrade XFree only when not running X, that
means in runlevel 3 (init 3).

> So then after some searching around at the red hat site, I found how to
> invoke the X Configator for RH9 so I tried (can't remember the exact
> command but this is close):
> redhat-configure-XFree86
> Same error as startx. So is it possible that up2date messed up my
> X-Windows? Is there a way to recover except by reinstall?

There is no X-Windows, it is called X Window System. Windows[tm] is a
Microsoft product.

You certainly need to repair the updated XFree packages. Did you already
rerun up2date? Maybe it else helps if you fetch the
XFree86-libs-4.3.0-55 RPM from a mirror server and reinstall it.

> Thanks,
>
> Ryan

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 18:43:22 up 25 days, 2:24, load average: 0.49, 0.32, 0.22
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]