Opinions on Exchange options

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Apr 13 17:09:01 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 13.04.2004 schrieb redhat um 18:51:

> The reason I posted to this list about a SuSE product was because I
> wanted opinions from people who were not "predisposed" to SuSE.  If I
> wanted that I would have gone to their list.  I just wanted some input
> from other users out there.  I am a small shop of just two techs - I am
> the only one who knows anything about setting up servers - be it Linux
> or Windows.  I also function as a manager and do not have time to add
> "one more thing" onto my incredible list of things to do.  I admit, I am
> not a mail administrator - never have been - but I do have a problem and
> trust the input of this list.  I read this list daily for that very
> reason.
> thanks for your input.

Ok, anonymous - now I see clearer :) From your initial description with
Domain Controller setup and running Exchange I had the impression you
are speaking of a bigger environment.

So if you need a GUI frontend for mail server administration
http://www.kerio.com/kms_home.html might be worth a check and test. It
is Sendmail based, virus checking is available, it has a simple GUI and
is available for Windows[tm] as well as Linux. It is no "all-you-want"
groupware solution, but speaking about Linux environments there are a
couple of free and easy products available. Just do a quick search at
http://freshmeat.net.

The SuSE mail server product might be worth a test for you. For small
environments with admins not knowing much about mail and servers it
might be a valid choice. As long as it runs. Starting to get problems
with it, it might quickly become a pain (feedback by people having to
administer such machines).

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 18:57:31 up 25 days, 2:38, load average: 0.51, 0.33, 0.23
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]