RH rips again Was: extend EOL for Red Hat Linux 9?

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 13 22:30:35 UTC 2004

Luc Bouchard said:

> Just to play devil's advocate here for a second.  If I did know the EOL
> for RH9 and had subscribed to RHN and my renewall date was Nov 1, 2003.

Just before the 11/3/2003 deadline.

> I would have expected RH to renew my subscription to RHN automatically
> but not for a 12 month period, but up to the EOL date which would have
> billed me for 7 months.

As explained in the FAQ, you have access to RHEL for the remaining months.

> That would be fair practice.  However, if
> everyone know the EOL date for RH9 how could RH have in good conscious
> billed people for 12 months of RHN if there was less than 12 months till
> end of life?  I really think that's what it boils down to.  The
> assumption that most people made was that RH Linux would be around for
> the long run and were caught unaware when RH decided that RH9 would be
> the last.

Unfortunately some of the links aren't working, but the Fedora Project
(and the RHLP before it) were announced I believe around July 2003, during
the beta process for Severn (RHL 9 was released in April).  Anyone looking
for "the next RHL" would have found Fedora.

http://software.newsforge.com/software/03/10/01/1417208.shtml

--
William Hooper