Hyperthreading kernel hangs

Chris Kloiber ckloiber at ckloiber.com
Wed Apr 14 14:48:39 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 22:38, Gerrit wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently bought a Hyperthreading Intel Pentium 4 processor. I compiled
> Linux kernel 2.6.5 with hyperthreading. Unfortunately, it hangs
> irreproducably on boot; sometimes on 'starting Postfix', sometimes on
> 'starting console mouse services', etc. What kernel options do I need to
> configure in order to get hyperthreading working?
>
> yours,
> Gerrit.

Is this a Shuttle SS51G2 (rev2) system with a 3.06 Ghz P4?

I have one that does something similar on RHEL3. Try *not* starting the
irqbalance daemon, and see if it boots into run level 1, if so, manually
start irqbalance, then run the date command several times (it's about
the only thing that will run). If your system acts like mine, the real
time clock will have *stopped*, the date and time down to the second
will be repeatable every time. I have not figured out what causes this,
and I simply disable irqbalance and run the uni-processor kernel. I
suspect a bios bug, but there is no newer bios for my motherboard.

--
Chris Kloiber