Bad update - X11 corrupted

Martin Stone martin.stone at db.com
Thu Apr 15 12:53:52 UTC 2004

Jay,

Yes, this is true - if you append S to the kernel line you will get single-user
mode.  What's less well-known is that this will work for other runlevels as
well!  So if your initdefault is set to 5 in inittab and you want to boot
runlevel 3, you can append 3 to your kernel line... cool, huh?  I advised him to
go with 3 rather than S because everything on his system was working except for
X, so why inconvenience himself with single-user mode when he doesn't have to :-)

Martin