Duplicating a Fedora PC

Don Levey fedora-list at the-leveys.us
Thu Apr 15 17:57:41 UTC 2004

Andy wrote:

> On Thursday 15 April 2004 08:49, Hugh Foster wrote:
>
>> IS there a way to dupe an installation easily, or do I have to slog
>> through all the settings again manually?
>
> More experienced heads may have a better way, but I would be using dd.
>
> If you can come up on a floppy or CD 'recovery' distro that does not
> require your source HDD to be mounted, or, you can come up in single
> user mode with the source HDD mounted as read-only, you can easily
> use dd to dump the source drive to the destination drive sector by
> sector.

Hmm... I'm looking at just this sort of a solution for a one-time mirror of my server.  When FC2 comes out I want to try an upgrade (so I can keep all of my configuration in place), but want a fallback if something fails.  I plan to get a drive which is the same make/model as the one I have now, so dd may be a good solution.  The man page is not too helpful for me; is there a write-up toward which someone can point me?

Thanks,
 -Don