Solution for when rpm -e just spins at 100% CPU

Eric Diamond eric at ediamond.net
Fri Apr 16 15:12:37 UTC 2004

Friday, April 16, 2004 4:02 AM Mike Insch replied:

> I could be completely wrong, but wouldn't:
>     rpm --erase --justdb <hand-deleted-package>
>
> Work just the same way?

Yup, but so would removing the packages with rpm in the
first place.

Always remember Occams Razor, the simplest soulution is
(almost) always the best.

Also, the best way to deal with trouble is not to have
any. If you use an automated installer to put something
on a system, you should use the same installer to remove
it. There are always exceptions, but it's generaly the
best way to make sure everything is cleaned up properly.

On the other hand, for folks who have already learned
the above the hard way, your script is an excellent (and
elegant)way for them to get out of the hole they've dug
themselves into.

Eric Diamond
eDiamond Networking & Security
303-246-9555