ext3 journaling taking up HDD Space ?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 18:31:45 UTC 2004

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 11:16:03 -0500, Matthew Benjamin
<msbenjamin at fedex.com> wrote:

> Has anyone noticed
> ext3 journaling FS taking using up HDD space over time. And if so is
> there a way
> to clear it up. My hard drive is loosing space fast, I've deleted log files
> and
> all that good stuff - but that is only buying me time. Any
> advice.

The journal feature does take up some finite amount of space. But you
haven't reported any space numbers for anyone knowledgable to be able
to tell you if what you are seeing is a feature or a problem.

I did a naive search issue for this in redhat's bugzilla. I don't see
any reported problems about the size of the journal growing
unexpectedly over time.

-jef