nvidia driver works w/ new kernel and inittab 3, but not 5

Clint clint at penguinsolutions.org
Fri Apr 16 19:28:10 UTC 2004

Clint wrote:
> I've upgraded to the new kernel. Then I set the run level to 3 to run
> the nvidia scripts to build a custom-run package (use the alternate
> instructions found at artoo). Everything appears to install just fine. I
> make sure load "dri" is commented out of /etc/X11/XF86Config and I
> double-check that the driver is "nvidia" and not "nv".
>
> I type startx at the prompt and the nvidia splash screen comes up, and
> I'm in gnome working right along using the new driver. So I reset the
> run level to 5 and reboot. While X starts just fine, I don't see the
> nvidia splash screen and none of the GL packages work.
>
> What's the problem here?
>
> The current nvidia driver runs fine with the new kernel, as long as I
> don't use run level 5.
>
> Clint

I've got some additional information that may be helpful. During the
boot, the following message appears:

nvidia.o module for 2.4.22-1.2179.nptl not found
Disabling nvidia driver

That certainly explains what's going on, but how do I solve it?

Thanks,
Clint

--
Clint Harshaw  <clint at penguinsolutions.org>