xscreensaver + tyan smp == ugh! (i think)

John McBride jmcbride at ccis.com
Sat Apr 17 05:26:17 UTC 2004

It has taken me awhile to figure out what is happpening, but on my dual
cpu tyan mobo, running FC1 (fully updated), I am getting some nasty
lockups and X strangeness after perhaps 2-3 days of running.

Today X started just drawing frames only, and alt-tab popped up the
graphical switcher, but there was no mouse and the keyboard was not
switching between apps. This happened when I touched the mouse after the
screensaver had been running for awhile. Usually, the machine locks up
hard when this happens, but this time I could ssh into it.

I slowly started killing apps, and when I got to xscreensaver I suddenly
got everything back...mouse, keyboard, window repaints, etc. So I am not
sure if it is xscreensaver or the box has funky hardware, or maybe
something else, but I thought I would mention it in case it is a common
issue for others.

TIA,
John