named updates failing

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Sat Apr 17 20:02:24 UTC 2004

Dov Zamir wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>Was off the list for a while, doing a clean install of FC1, after making
>a mess of the previous one :-)
>
>I now have kernel 5179 up and running very well. Running services
>include httpd, dhcpd and named.
>
>named is set up to secondary my main DNS server, on an WP Pro machine,
>but I keep getting the following errors:
>
>[--much snipping--]
>Apr 17 14:49:56 www named[2979]: dumping master file: tmp-XXXXpai2Fs:
>open: permission denied
>Apr 17 14:49:56 www named[2979]: transfer of 'zamir-enterprises.com/IN'
>from 192.168.9.7#53: failed while receiving responses: permission denied

<snip>

>The time stamp for these are wrong, while all other messages have
>thecorrect time stamp, but if this is unrelated to the problem, it is a
>very minor issue.

Are you sure that the primary DNS is configured to allow transfers to
the secondary?  All those permission denied messages show that the
primary receives the conection , but something is not configured
properly on the primary. Check if the secondary has the necessary
permissions to do the transfer.

--
Pedro Macedo