user with root priviledge

James Kosin jkosin at beta.intcomgrp.com
Mon Apr 19 14:51:47 UTC 2004

jludwig wrote:
| On Sun, 2004-04-18 at 14:48, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
|
|>Am So, den 18.04.2004 schrieb boby um 19:43:
|>

|>>Hello
|>>
|>>how can i create a user with priviledge rot.
|>>i know that i can add the user to the root group .
|>>but even when i add the user to root group it can not
|>>be the same as root . system always ask me to enter
|>>root password to chang some thing .
|>>i want some thing exactly like root.
|>
|>That is a very very bad idea at all! Never ever create a user with root
|>privileges for the daily work. Else go back and use Win98 :( Seriously,
|>devide normal user and root!

I have to agree on this ROOT privileges should not be taken lightly.
Remember, root can delete any file on the system even very important ones.

|>>the other thing is i up2dated my computer with root
|>>login but when one of my colleage enter to the same
|>>computer with his login name up2date is red and i
|>>should up2date it again,however i can not uptodate
|>>because i am not a root ...... is fedora kepp track of
|>>their clients by the name of user ? because it can not
|>>understand that user is in the same computer i have
|>>upgraded already .
|>
|>Maybe the up2date with the colleague's account is not configured yet.

The other option; is to get a cron job setup for root to run up2date
periodically.  Once a day / week / hour / etc.  This way the system will
update itself when necessary.  NOTE: Please keep the kernel in the
exclude list.  The kernel tends to break things if not done right.
Examples are those using 3rd-party drivers for video cards, serial
cards, etc. that are not stock kernel modules.

This way, the system can update itself without you needing to login as root.

|>>thanks to all
|>
|>Alexander
|
| Sorry for a small inconvenience having to type a few keystrokes.
|
| BUT
|
| As regular user you don't have enough privileges to destroy the system.
| Abrogating root privileges at best is unwise and foolhardy.

Added point...  My Windows 2000 account has me setup as a normal user!
I don't even have administrator rights on my own computer.  This helps
me from crashing or causing problems on my computer.  Or even limits
virus problems.

| jludwig <wralphie at comcast.net>

James Kosin