FC1 on Intel 440GX

Randy Kelsoe randykel at swbell.net
Mon Apr 19 19:22:09 UTC 2004

MW Mike Weiner (5028) wrote:

>How difficult would it be to replace the kernel versions on the
>installation media? Is this a significant undertaking? I was thinking of
>burning a new set of CD's but with all the latest errata RPMS. Etc - has
>any one done this yet?

I have not mentioned the solution I used because the other suggestions
that have been posted sounded better. I found the following excerpt from
bugzilla, and this worked for me:

------- Additional Comment #15 From Alan Cox on 2003-12-24 10:23 -------

The best "Non expert" way to update to Fedora 1 on such a box btw
seems to be the following (a decent net connection helps but you do
only need CD 1 for this 8))

Install RH9 (if not upgrading from it anyway)
Install fedora-release and yum packages from CD#1 of FC1
yum update rpm
rpm --rebuilddb
yum update krb5-libs e2fsprogs
yum update

Then rpm install the RH9 errata kernel

I think he meant to say 'install the FC1 errata kernel'. They also
mentioned getting the latest bios and firmware from Intel, which I tried
first. This solution is a pain, but it worked for me. I have a machine
on my network setup as a local yum repository, so the upgrade from RH9
to FC1 did not take too long.