Initializing drive in USB enclosure

Andrew Robinson awrobinson at cox.net
Mon Apr 19 23:17:20 UTC 2004

I have recently acquired a Western Digital EIDE 80 GB hard drive.
Separately, I acquired an external USB enclosure. I would like to get
the hard drive working in the enclosure to provide myself with some
portable disk space.

First question: is it possible to initialize a hard drive in an USB
external enclosure? I haven't figured out how to do so from either Linux
or Windows. My suspicion is that I will have to mount the hard drive in
the computer case, initialize it, then remove it and mount it in the
external enclosure.

Second question: if it is possible to initialize a hard drive in an USB
enclosure, how to I go about doing so? If anyone has any pointers to
appropriate How-To's, I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks!

Andrew Robinson