yum update 2179 kernel

Eric Diamond eric at ediamond.net
Tue Apr 20 05:32:29 UTC 2004

Monday, April 19, 2004 4:47 PM John Fleming replied with:
> Sent: Monday, April 19, 2004 4:41 PM Eric Diamond tried:
> >... What does 'rpm -q grub' output?
>
> grub-0.93-7

OK, well it thinks grub is there.

> > AND
> >
> > 2) What happens if you run 'rpm -e
> kernel-2.4.22-1.2179.nptl' and then
> > run 'yum update'?
>
> 1. Well, I ran "yum remove kernel-2.4.22-1.2179.nptl"
>
> and got "No Matches for (the above).
>
> 2. Then I ran 'rpm -e .....' as above and it returned the
> console prompt.

Strange, seems like the new kernel was never installed...

> 3.  Then I ran yum update - (I'm just used to using yum).  It
> didn't download anything, but said it was installing the
> kernel.  Then the aforementioned "no bootloader found"
> message, then a line that the kernel was installed.

OK. So yum downloaded the kernel package, but never installed it. Or
maybe it backed it out when it couldn't complete the install?

> 4.  Rebooted - Got the Grub 0.93 screen with the 2 old kernel choices.

Like I said above, maybe it's backing out the install. Alexander, can
you shed any light on this?

> 5.  Updated, this time with rpm graphical, and it downloaded
> the kernel - Downloaded and installed without errors, and
> suggested I reboot to use the new kernel.
>
> 6.  The reboot yielded the graphical screen showing Grub 0.93
> and STILL THE 2 OLD KERNEL CHOICES!

Or is it rpm that might be backing out the install?

> 7.  Still no /boot/grub file, fwiw.

Wow. Good one! OK, now two more questions? What is the output of 'rpm
-qa | grep kernel'?  And, have you thought about uninstalling and
reinstalling grub?

Eric Diamond
eDiamond Networking & Security
303-246-9555