nv verses the world

Aaron Konstam akonstam at trinity.edu
Tue Apr 20 11:58:47 UTC 2004

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 12:30:57AM +0100, mal wrote:
> I read a post that a guy called Alan made that the 3D video folks would
> rather work with friendlier vendors than Nvidia. I have also noticed
> that there is a lot of  post along the lines of  ' nv doesn't do this or
> that' and that NVidia binary explodes with FC2. All this is a bit
> depressing since I have an Nvidia card too!  I even went to the trouble
> of building a new kernel so that the Nvidia would work, which is a bit
> daunting for a beginner and is a real pain.  So I figured it may take
> weeks ( if ever) for Fedora and Nvidia to play nicely together but it'll
> only take me 20mins to go down to PCWorld and get another video card.
> So the question is ... What is the most capable card that I can get that
> is totally supported by GPL drivers.  I know this is really a back to
> front way to solve this problem but I am fed up with this situation.

Take what I say with a grain of salt but here is my experience with
a GForce card. I think GForce 2 but I am not sure. I went to the
Nvidia site, downloaded the script that installs their drivers, ran
the script, the drivers had to be compiled, and it worked. This
worked under Fedora, CentOS (RHEL in free form). But I admit is
failed with Debian unstable version. You need the appropriate kernel
source files but other wise it worked well.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
One Trinity Place.