mii-tool and dsl?

Jay Daniels drs at pointyhats.com
Tue Apr 20 13:00:42 UTC 2004

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 12:54:57AM -0500, Mike Burger wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Apr 2004, Eric Diamond wrote:
>
> > Monday, April 19, 2004 9:07 PM Jay Daniels asked:
> > > I have dual builtin Intel Corp. 82540EM Gigait Ethernet
> > > Controller. My hub is 10 Mbit, but both the DSL eth0 and the
> > > hub eth1 show 10 Mbit.  It seems I remember the DSL link eth0
> > > showing as 100 Mbit with RH 9.
> >
> > It may have, but I doubt it. Most DSL routers/modems have 10Mb
> > interfaces. It doesn't make sense for them to be built anyother way. The
> > newer chipsets are more expensive and would add to the cirduit board
> > real estate.
>
> Are you kidding?  I haven't seen a current model of cable or DSL
> router/modems that doesn't do 100meg on their ethernet ports.
> --
> Mike Burger
> http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Apparently he is correct.

My ParaDyne HotWire 6350 is just that, 10 Mbits.

Max Transfer Rate	 1 Mbps
Networking   Network adapter - Ethernet - 10 Mbps

http://www.pcuniverse.com/product.asp?pid=28438&so=1.95

But it also is advertised as 1 Mbps, strange...

Hum, the price is reasonable.  I currently lease this Paradyne DSL
modem.  Perhaps I will purchase a backup.

Glad I discovered this mii-tool in another thread though.  It's very
useful.

man mii-tool
mii-tool - view, manipulate media-independent interface status

jay