nv verses the world

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Apr 20 15:12:14 UTC 2004

mal wrote:
> I read a post that a guy called Alan made that the 3D video folks would
> rather work with friendlier vendors than Nvidia. I have also noticed
> that there is a lot of  post along the lines of  ' nv doesn't do this or
> that' and that NVidia binary explodes with FC2. All this is a bit
> depressing since I have an Nvidia card too!  I even went to the trouble
> of building a new kernel so that the Nvidia would work, which is a bit
> daunting for a beginner and is a real pain.  So I figured it may take
> weeks ( if ever) for Fedora and Nvidia to play nicely together but it'll
> only take me 20mins to go down to PCWorld and get another video card.
> So the question is ... What is the most capable card that I can get that
> is totally supported by GPL drivers.  I know this is really a back to
> front way to solve this problem but I am fed up with this situation.
>
> best wishes

I had an ATI 9600 in January and I could not get 3D working after 2
weeks of fighting.  Purchased a NVidia card and was up and running in
less than 30 minutes with full 3D dri.  I used drivers from ATI and
NVidia in both cases.  NVidia was a much easier install, even with a
kernel upgrade.

I will stick with NVidia for what it is worth.

I think that due to competition in the 3D card market, I really doubt
that any top end card driver will be released under GPL.  NVidia is
trying to use the same driver software for all cards which will make
it much easier for users.  Now if they would allow the driver to be
distributed without restrictions by the various venders, that would be
great.

--
Robin Laing