Problems getting Linux into homes.

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Apr 20 21:07:57 UTC 2004

Chris Jones wrote:
> Eric Diamond wrote:
>
>> OK, Well I haven't read it and from the past two replies, I don't think
>> I have to.
>>
>> Whether it was staged or not (and with his knowledge or not, from what's
>> already been said he obviously wasn't the sharpest tack in the box) is
>> moot.
>>
>> Unfortunately, among those of us <big collective here> who are most
>> knowledgable about linux, are the only people who remember what it was
>> like configuring sound and video (and networks) in the MS-DOS and pre
>> Windows 98 days. Newcomers don't realize the hell our users used to put
>> us through! You think you've got it bad now. Pffft! In your dreams!
>>

> ... and I remember (almost fondly) of getting down on hands and knees
> threading ribbon cable between a new Apple II and our 16.5Mb fileserver
> :) - that was in 1979 I think.

(waving hand frantically) I did CP/M, MP/M, TurboDOS, Zapple, and a
whole bunch of other S100-based stuff.  Goes back to 1974 for me on
that stuff.  I still have Volume 1, Issue 1 of ROM (Read Only Magazine)
with the centerfold of a fully-stripped Z80 processor in it.
-               If the enemy's in range...so are you!                -