Problems getting Linux into homes.

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Wed Apr 21 00:40:08 UTC 2004

Guy Fraser wrote:

> Robin Laing wrote:
>
>> As a Linux user, I have had issues with different hardware and
>> software in Linux.
>>
>> Here is a pro-windows article based on problems of installing Linux
>> and sound card issues.
>>
>>   Langa Letter: Linux's Achilles' Heel.
>> <http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=18901660>
>>
>> I will admit that I had no problems installing FC 1 on my new
>> computer and it recognizing the sound card.  I haven't been able to
>> get ALSA working yet though. :(
>>
>> As the issues with Video cards and hardware not being supported by
>> manufacturers or allowing their "closed source" drivers from being
>> distributed with Linux will be a stumbling block for Linux in the home.
>

> Whether the author {Fred Langa} can be called an expert is probably
> not at question here, he is aparently a technical writer. He
> completely failed to mention what hardware was being used, that was
> brand new and yet supported by a 1995 version of windows 1995. As many
> people recall the version of Windows 95 that came out in late 1995 was
> terrible, and not likely the version of Windows 95 he claims to have
> tried.
>
> He has a point though, and that is Linux has poor support from
> hardware vendors. It is a sad fact that most drivers for linux have
> been reverse engineered in order to get any functionality, because the
> vendors fear Microsoft may not provide them with the code required to
> optomize their drivers for current windows versions, and thus not be
> able to compete with other vendors.
>
> Rather than get the 'back story' as he claimed he was doing, he merely
> tried different Linux distros and windows versions with a single peice
> of equipment. He then determined the soundcard would not work under
> any of the Linux distro versions he tested. He also discovered that
> the sound card did work with the Windows versions he tested. If he
> called hardware manufacturer to determine whether they supported
> anything other than windows, he likely would have found that their was
> a real 'back story'. Who knows, maybe he did check and after getting
> the truth he contacted Microsoft to get their story, and discovered
> that if he were to tell the truth about why Linux didn't support his
> 'new' sound card, he would not get published.
>
> In any case Fred decided to write that Linux was not a capable desktop
> operating system because it lacks good driver support.
>
> Fred didn't tell any lies that I could see. He failed to do what he
> set out to do and that was get the 'back story'. In order to have done
> what he claimed to be doing he would have had to discover the reason
> why the linux distros were not capable of acheiving what he was
> attempting to do with them. Had he gotten the 'back story' he would
> have discovered that the drivers were not available on linux not
> because linux was not up to the task, but because the vendors do not
> [...]
One other thing he failed to address, (and I wonder how he was able to
do 11 OS installs without ever hitting this) is that on building any
system, every service center I have ever spoken to makes a very useful
recommendation. (see next paragraph)

I have been told that on a new build, with new hardware, one should
NEVER put all the hardware in place then do the install of Windows.  It
often causes failure/difficulty in getting everything to work.  I
personally have experienced the negative of trying to do it the "quick
and easy" way several times, then decided to follow this advice and it
works much better.

For a new windows install, install the minimum hardware, install the OS,
then one at a time add the additional hardware pieces and set up the
drivers.  This way it is easy to see what is being added and if there is
a problem it is isolated to the last component added.

OTOH, with Linux, and on any distro I have tried, it just works with all
the hardware already in place.

If Fred did as he claims, he probably had only the video card and the
mobo and drives installed, so he could do that without other possible
complications.  This is not a real test or comparison, and as we all
know, "Any test can be tailored to give the desired results".

BTW,
Does anyone have any idea of the numbers (or percentages) of windows
platforms sold that are done as a build-it system as compared to a
prebuilt/preloaded system?

I know that a vanishingly small percentage of Linux systems are prebuilt
and preloaded.