Network Problem

Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 21 05:08:09 UTC 2004

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 08:10:03AM -0600, Eric Diamond wrote:
> Tuesday, April 20, 2004 3:55 AM Andy Green added:
> > > What units are you using? Mo/sec is not one I'm familiar with.
> >
> > Octet, it's used for byte in Francophone countries.
>
> Ah! I see said the blnd man...
>
> So that means Sébastien was seeing 5 MegaBytes per second vs. 11
> MegaBytes per second. By my math (and I'm only approximating link
> overhead) that's 50+ MegaBits per second vs. 110+ MegaBits per second.
> To me, that sounds like the difference between 100Mbps at half and full
> duplex respectfully.

If I understand it full duplex does not double the download speed.
But rather upload can progress at the same time as download.  This
can be useful for a file-server where my reads do not conflict with
your writes (on the network wire).

For download the ACK packets can flow without interrupting the
up/download. Thus it can be possible to approach the theoretical
bit rate in any one direction.

Am I confused?

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l