Langa bashing (was Re: Problems getting Linux into homes)

Donald Correll donaldcorrell at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 21 05:35:12 UTC 2004

Nice try Danny,

 I also have been following that Info World thread and yes the Langa
bashing is out of control and getting worse but imho he deserves a
goodly portion of it. The overall journalistic impact is to discourage
Linux newbies and to frighten allready uptight IT managers into
retreating into a Windows only shell. The key points in the argument
(once again imho) are: 1. He does not give enough specific details of
the actual hardware or the distro he usedfor anyone to make an informed
decision and 2. His argument plays handily into the vested interests of
the Wintel Camp and does little or nothing to properly assign blame to
OEMs who fail to offer any real  support for Linux hardware.
 From my own experience I have never experienced any problem with Sound
under any Linux distro but yes installing can be problematical and some
hardware may require thought but that is as far as fairness can be
stressed. Windows is no prize either. Who can forget plug 'n' pray. And
Win 95 Ha Now there is a joke. Not a funny joke but a sick pathetic
metaphor for user frustration.  No one in his right mind could take any
Win 9.x product as a paragon of user friendliness. This Windows vs Linux
controversy is largely more of a  consumer issue than a technical issue
granted but given the recent scourge of  FUD in the SCO case and the not
too veiled heavy hand of M$ dirty trixters moving behind the curtain is
it any wonder that the Linux faithfull have jumped all over Mr. Langa
who apperently in fine journalistic tradtion is only making a buck by
publicising the issues for better or worse and as all good journalist
know all publicity is good publicity but bad publicity sells papers! It
is needless to even bother with the cynical ever changing nature of
journalistic opinion either. This is known in the trade as fair play in
presenting both sides of the issues. And given Mr. Langa's previous
history it is not too hard to predict that the Wintell faithfull will
soon enough feel the sting and be publicly damning Mr Langa again for
his apparent failure to pander to the windows political line.
Sincerely,
Donald Correll
Who is an IT Pro working for the Media in a minor supporting role (at
least it payssome if not most of my bills).
PS Also in actuallity I agree this really does not on the Fedora List
but should rather be moved to the OT forumn .