xcdroast sees my DVD/CDRW drive as DVD/CDROM only when ide-scsi is in effect

Russell East reast at esri.com
Wed Apr 21 06:38:22 UTC 2004

My Compaq Evo N800c laptop has a Toshiba SD-R2102 DVD/CDRW drive.

After installing Fedora Core 1 (with recent updates)  xcdroast detects
the drive as a reader only.
In the grub.conf, there is an "hdc=ide-scsi" option, and /dev/cdrom
points to /dev/scd0.

If I remove the above option from grub.conf, then reboot, /dev/cdrom
points to /dev/hdc again,
and, xcdroast detects the device as a writer.   But it also notes that
it is an atapi device and
recommends against using it.

I also use "acpi=on" within grub.conf, since this is necessary for the
Evo, it has only ACPI and no APM.
Dunno if that makes a difference?

Anyone have some clues why this might be happening?

`uname -a` displays this:
    Linux gumnut 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl #1 Wed Feb 18 16:38:32 EST 2004 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux

-- Russell