Huge Partition

Rick Mohr rfmohr at osc.edu
Wed Apr 21 14:00:20 UTC 2004

OK, I haven't dealt with this on Fedora, but I did run across a similar
problem when I installed RHAS3.  I had a 3Ware card with about 1.5TB of
disk space, most of which I wanted on a single partition.  The anaconda
installer couldn't handle it, but I believe I read something about how
there used to be a limit hardcoded into it that caused the problem.
(Don't know if this was fixed or not.)

I also tried creating the partition after installation, and that also
failed.  Actually, I used parted and it appeared to work.  But when I
formatted it as ext3 it would always hang part way through.  There were
also a bunch of I/O error messages in the syslogs.

I ended up finding a reference to the problem on 3Ware's web site
(although I can't seem to track down the URL now).  It mentioned that
there was a problem with using 'int' instead of 'unsigned long' in the
sd.c file in the scsi driver.  The suggested fix was this:

static int sd_init_command(Scsi_Cmnd * SCpnt)
{
        /* int dev, block, this_count; */
        int dev, this_count;
        unsigned long block;

I am not sure if that is the proper solution, but it did eliminate the I/O
errors from my logs.  However, I have not come close to filling the
partition up, so I cannot verify that all the space is actually usable.

Oh, and my /proc/partitions file still shows a negative number of blocks
for this partition even after I made the change.

Hope that helps.

--Rick