mp3 issue

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Apr 21 20:26:18 UTC 2004

vlad wrote:
> Is the mpeg layer 3 issue going to be resolved in Fedora Core 2?
> Cus' in 1.9 test 2 it sure doesn't work...
> I installed XMMS, and I get that message from RH.
> Do I need to install another filter, or this multimedia feature is
> disabled in test version?

mp3 support is not included in FC1 because the copyright and patent
issues have yet to be resolved.  Until they are and mp3 is GPL'd or made
public domain, you'll need to skirt U.S. law and download one of the
xmms mp3 library stacks from a site outside the U.S.  I won't tell you
where they are, as I am in the U.S.

Note: By downloading and installing such a package, you may be violating
U.S. law.  The odds are they won't come after you, but you have been
warned.
-      We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse.     -