mii-tool and dsl?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Apr 21 23:35:00 UTC 2004

Erik Hemdal wrote:
>>From: Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com>
>>Subject: Re: mii-tool and dsl?
>

>>Dov Zamir wrote:
>>
>>>On ', 2004-04-20 at 16:00, Jay Daniels wrote:
>

>>>Your maximum transfer rate reflects the rate you are getting over the
>>>DSL link from your ISP. 1 Mbps would be a reasonable value.
>>
>>If you're on DSL and you're next door to the central office, maybe.
>>I doubt it.  As I said in another post, even a T1 is only 1.544 Mbps.
>

> The one place where it might help is if you have multiple machines
> connected.  Then the local speed can exceed the broadband or DSL and the
> extra bandwidth might help.

How?  The upstream link is whatever the DSL/broadband can handle.  Since
that's probably no better than a T1, there's at least 8.4MB of the
10Mbps that CAN'T be used.  Your speed is limited by what the gateway
can push out or suck down the uplink.
-     I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!       -