How to boot without the X window system?

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Fri Apr 23 03:19:36 UTC 2004

At 20:59 4/22/2004, you wrote:

>All consoles are there in /etc/inittab. Console 1 was simply busy running
>X. The answer was to use CTRL+ALT+Backspace to terminate X.

I missed the start of this thread, but you can also boot into single-user
mode to edit /etc/inittab by:

         1. Pressing 'c' to customize your startup in GRUB.
         2. Selecting the line that starts with "kernel" and pressing 'e'
to edit.
         3. Appending the word "single" to the kernel line.
         4. Pressing 'b' to boot.

I may not have that down exactly since I'm not at a console right now, but
it's close. Once booted into single-user mode, edit /etc/inittab and find a
line like:

id:5:default

Change that "5" to a "3", then command "init 6" to reboot. The system will
then come up in runlevel 3 which is the same as 5 but in text-mode... no X
at all.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz