Won't install on laptop

Brian Ashe rhlist at dee-web.com
Sat Apr 24 02:47:45 UTC 2004

On Friday 23 April 2004 07:33, Mike Brenton wrote:
> I installed FC1 on my desktop computer a month ago with no problems, but
> when I tried installing it on my laptop today, it won't. On the first
> screen I push enter on the built in keyboard or my PS2 Microsoft keyboard
> and it starts entering the graphical install interface, but when it comes
> to the screen where you test the disc or proceed with installation, neither
> keyboard works. I can't get past that screen because I can't choose
> anything, or continue, and to reboot I have to shut it off and take the
> disc out. My laptop is a hp ze4500, AMD 1855 Mhz CPU, 40 Gb hard disk with
> 30.13 Gb free, 512 Mb DDR SDRAM, Windows XP. Anyone have any suggestions?

First, you should always try Google. It is an excellent resource. For example
if you had entered "linux hp ze4500" (without quotes) you would have found
this...
http://students.cs.byu.edu/~resplin/answers/laptop_answers.html

Where the second section mentions Fedora and this...
"HP laptop keyboards are known to fail hardware detection. To have a usable
keyboard, make sure to generate events (tap a key) while the installer kernel
auto-detects your hardware. This means that you should tap the spacebar from
the time the computer boots of the CD until the installer is completely
loads. Once the system is installed, this is no longer necessary."

There may be other tips for you there, however the hardware is slightly
different.

--
Brian Ashe - CTO
Dee-Web Software Services, LLC.