Langa bashing (was Re: Problems getting Linux into homes)

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Sat Apr 24 23:55:42 UTC 2004

At 03:48 4/24/2004, you wrote:
>Fred's whole article is about the lack of ease of installing Linux with
>any hardware. Hiss whole thrust is that all varieties of Windows works
>with his hardware, whereas Linux doesn't.

While I agree with the point that Linux needs more drivers and while other
points have been valid, Fred's article is *really* flawed in that his
"hardware" which works with all varieties of Windows is a virtual PC built
by Microsoft itself. Does it not seem obvious that all MS Windows will
recognize a Microsoft virtual soundcard? And does the fact that Linux has
few or no drivers for a Microsoft virtual sound card surprise *anyone*???

If he'd argued this with *any* common, available, real (really real, as in
tangible!) sound card, his argument would have been a lot stronger. But the
way he tested... was simply doomed to fail. The whole story really had no
other possible ending.

>  Of course that is because lack of drivers provided by the hardware
> manufacturers, but that is beside the point.

Generally speaking, yes. In this case, the hardware was not real but
virtual, and the manufacturer was Microsoft who will release a Linux driver
for its hardware the day after hell freezes over. Again, in this case the
story had no other possible ending.

>The whole point being that Linux is still not entirely ready for the home
>market, when compared to Micro$oft's installations.

If you believe that, I'll partly disagree with you; but you have every
right to feel that way. However, Fred's way of arguing and supporting that
point (if indeed he set out to make that point, which would invalidate the
supposedly objective and impartial view he professes to hold) completely
devalues the argument. You want to prove that there are no drivers for
sound cards? Get a Creative Labs, or a Turtle Beach, or any of the built-in
chipsets (Via, Sis, C-Media...) and show me that *those* don't work. You
use a VIRTUAL card by MICROSOFT, and you destroy your credibility since the
test is obviously *meant* to fail.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz