php imagepng problems

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sun Apr 25 13:39:09 UTC 2004

Am So, den 25.04.2004 schrieb Paolo Bonavoglia um 07:43:

>          I send again this message, since I'm not sure it is arrived to the
> list yesterday.

It did arrive.

>          A month ago I moved the site of my school from a Win2k server to a
> Linux-Fedora server.
>
>          The site was already hosted by Apache, PhP e MySQL and there was
> no problem in the change.
>          Some pages use GD graphics and the imagepng function; imagepng was
> also used by a graphic counter I realized time ago.
>          Everything worked fine under Linux Fedora too, but a few days ago
> the graphics crashed suddenly; in the browser (Mozilla or IE just the same)
> you see only the red cross: image error.
> (if I call directly the php script, Mozilla says: The image " ....
> file.php?Pagina=6" cannot be displayed because it contains errors.)
>          I made some debugging and surely guilty it is the function
> imagepng (or imagejpeg, it's just the same); strangest of all, imagepng
> works perfectly when sending output on a file, e.g.
>
>          imagepng($im, 'figura.png');
>
> but crashes when sending image to the browser (stdout):
>
>          imagepng($im);
>
>          Until now every try to correct the problem failed. Maybe a problem
> of writing rights?
>
>          But why the problem arose suddenly? In the last days I only
> changed some DNS and MySQL configuration, apparently nothing to do with
> graphics.
>          I'm not even sure wheter it is a PhP, Apache or Linux problem.
>
>          Any idea?

> Regards
>
> Paolo Bonavoglia

If creating png formatted pictures would not succeed I would say check
the permission of /tmp and /var/tmp to be chmod 1777.

Besides DNS and MySQL changes did you run any update or installation of
other applications, mainly not from FC1?

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2179.nptl
Sirendipity 15:36:13 up 6 days, 22:21, load average: 0.30, 0.26, 0.13
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]